How to soften water?
How to soften water?
1. Boil the water and drink it. You can also use boiling water to clean the kitchen and bathroom, brush your teeth, bathe and wash your hair to improve the efficiency of your cleaning products.
Boil the water for a few minutes and let it cool. A layer of visible lime particles is formed on the water. Before using water, pick them up and throw them away.
You can also put the water a little longer, waiting for the particles to sink to the bottom. Carefully drain the water and do not agitate the lime particles that have settled underneath. Wait until the water level is only a few centimeters high, and pour the water underneath the lime particles.
2. Soften the water with sodium carbonate (washing alkali) or lime. In the past, families living in hard water areas often packed a large bucket of water, did not need to cover it, put a little sodium carbonate or lime, let it sit for a few days, then take the water above.
This method is time consuming, so it is not commonly used today.
3. Add ammonia, borax, lye or sodium carbonate. When you add laundry or do other household chores, add one of these substances to the water by the way, so that the detergent can work. Although they do not soften water, it is known to prevent lime from interacting with soap and aid in foaming. Carefully follow the warnings and instructions on the package when using.
Dissolve 500 g of sodium carbonate in 1 liter of boiling water. After the water has cooled, put it in a bottle and seal it. When doing the cleaning work, mix 2 tablespoons of solution into about 4 liters of water.
Dissolve 1/4 tbsp of lye in 1 cup of water and mix the solution into about 4 liters of water.
4. Use a filter kettle to soften the water to be drunk. Many retail stores sell filter bottles of various brands. Some can soften water and help drink, coffee, tea and other beverages retain their taste and aroma.
5. Install a similar water filter on the faucet in the kitchen and bathroom sink to soften the water flowing from the faucet. This is the easiest way if you want to filter the water used for cleaning. Some styles of water filters also have a switchable valve, let you decide whether you want to use the water directly from the tap, or filter it first.
Softened water can save you the cost of cleaning supplies right away. You don't need a lot of toothpaste, laundry detergent, etc., you can get good cleaning results. The amount of electricity used is also reduced because cleaning things are easier and faster, and the number of cleanings required is reduced. Water softeners extend the life of water pipes and household appliances, and items that are cleaned with electrical appliances are more durable.
All methods of softening water need to cost money, but you save more money than cost. Some need to pay a fee first, some need to always pay the operating fee, and some need to pay two kinds of fees. However, you should also consider that the softener can save you money.